xniquet's emo playlist: time after time















There’s nothing like a run on the beach on a windy night and with my iPod & a running playlist. I already made myself a running playlist before which was a mixture of a lot of genre, but today I was more into the alternative rock mood, so here it goes…

Yellowcard/Only One
A very Emo-ish song because I am feeling Emo today, I just love the drums on this track.
Papa Roach/Scars
Another Emo song, I am sure a lot of you have heard it.
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus/Love Seat
This track can’t be found in their CD “Don’t Fake It” because this track was taken from their indie released LP before their major label, I wonder why this song didn’t make it into their debut CD? It’s pretty good. FYI, the indie release was a self titled CD.
Dave Matthews Band/Where are you Going?
I first heard this from the movie Mr. Deeds. I just love the combination of the saxophone and acoustic guitar in the beginning.
Dashboard Confessional/Don’t Wait
This was their first single off their CD Dusk and Summer. Great song to run to in the morning.
Quietdrive/Time after Time
A nice Cyndi Lauper cover. Produced by Butch Walker (Producer for Avril Lavigne’s The Best Damn Thing)
Feeder/Tumble and Fall
Taken from British rock band’s 5th Studio CD, Pushing the Senses; a friend of mine introduced me to one of their songs “Buck Rogers” and I have been listening to them ever since. Nice alternative rock vibe to the song.
Incubus/Love Hurts
This is probably my favorite song from Incubus’ Light Grenade. I am still looking for the acoustic version of Love Hurts, It can be found in the B sides of Anna Molly’s single. Kind souls out there with this version, pretty please with sugar on top, can you email it to me. Thank you! God Bress you :P.
Jimmy Eat World/Work
This is a great tune to work out to. Hmmm, I have just notice that I have packed in so many of my favorite bands into this one playlist. This is a very catching tune with cool lyrics.
Lifehouse/Take Me Away
Taken from their CD Stanley Climbfall which I bought it for only RM9.90 in one of the hickass CD shop here. Original and comes with that RIM authenticity sticker. I wonder why they throw this CD in the cheapo section. This is a pretty good CD with hits like Spin and Take Me Away. If you are a follower of Smallville series, you would have heard the acoustic version of “Take Me Away” in season 2 (I think) when Clark and Lana got together.
Story of the Year/Sidewalk
This is the song that got me into Story of the Year. If you are into acoustic, this is the song to own.
U2 Feat. Johnny Cash/ The Wanderer
This is probably the oldest song on the list, taken from the CD Zooropa, U2 and Johnny Cash on this soul searching song. “I went out walking with a Bible and a gun…”





Time after Time

Having heard Quietdrive’s version of Cyndi Lauper’s Time after time, it got me thinking just how many artist that have covered this song and is in my iTune’s library. So I made a list and some comment on them.



Time After Time
Written by Rob Hyman and Cyndi Lauper; taken from her album “She's So Unusual” that was released in 1983, catapulted Lauper to stardom with such hits as "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", “She Bop" and "Time after Time". As of 2002 it has sold more than 16 million copies worldwide. She's So Unusual received mixed reviews on its release and its sole Grammy Award was for Album Packing, my God I thought that Lauper would have bagged in at least one or two Grammys for the song but looks like it got nothing for the song. In recent years, however, the album has been re-appraised by the music media, and songs like "Time after Time" are considered pop classics.




Time after Time/ Cyndi Lauper
Genre: Pop

This is by far my favorite song from Cyndi Lauper, forget about Girls Just Wanna Have Fun or She Bops. It was released in 1984 as her second single. This is the type of song that can stand the test of time. You know sometimes you listen to a particular song and you go like, hey this song is so like 80’s but this isn’t the case for this song. That is why it is called a Golden Classic.

Time after Time/Quietdrive
Genre: Alternative Rock
Finally a good solid rock version of this song has emerged. For those who like Emo-ish Rock songs, don’t look any further. I have to say that this is a good version of the song. The vocals reminds me of Jimmy Eat World and Dashboard Confessional, the beat in the chorus has trances of U2’s Beautiful Day and Incubus’s Oil and Water; but it is still pretty good. Listening to this songs just makes you feel that this song is so short but it is 3:07, I have to have about 2-3 dosage of this song at one time to be satisfied. Great cover!!!

Time after Time/ Eva Cassidy
Genre: Jazz/Acoustic
This is by far the best studio cover version. A friend of mine even dares to say that this version is better than the original version. Listening to this song always gives me the goose bumps. The song starts out with a clean acoustic guitar which reminds me of Norah Jones’ Come Away with Me album. Eva Cassidy gives the word “Songbird” a new meaning. I just love her vocals.

Time after Time/ Cyndi Lauper with Sarah McLachlan
Genre: Acoustic Rock/Pop
Taken from Cyndi Lauper’s The Body Acoustic CD which is a career retrospective released in 2005. This is an acoustic version of the 1983 classic. The vibe of this song is cool but the chemistry between Cyndi and Sarah is so wrong. I don’t think there is any. The harmony is all wrong. Don’t agree with me, go listen to it and found out for yourself.

Time after Time/Everything but the Girl
Genre: Pop
A non-percussion track and featuring keyboards and an overly “chorus” guitar in the rhythm section; the so 80’s sound electric guitar solo and the ad-libs in the end are pretty lame. The only thing that works in this song is the harmony of the vocals. I am not a big follower of Everything but the Girl but I think when it comes to voice harmony they are pretty good in it.


Time after Time/Rockapella
Genre: Accapella
An attempt to remake this classic into an accapella, it is not a bad idea but the harmony should be better. Rockapella sounds like a mediocre group here. Good idea, bad execution, two words, “it sucks”

Time after Time/New Found Glory
Genre: Punk
Bravo, New Found Glory totally butchered this song. Their playing is all over the place. It’s like a cross over of Papa Roach’s Time and Time Again and something from Blink-182 all mesh up and presented to you in the most unappetizing way they can think of.

Time after Time/ Mark Williams & Tara Morice
Genre: Pop
I don’t even know how this track ended in my iTune library, I feel like I am listening to a variety show in our local free channel with two unknown singer trying to imitate the song. This song’s singers reminds me of Bintang RTM (Hickass Local talent show)





RATE ME


heaven
the best
pretty good
okay
pretty bad
the worst
hell